Saturday, December 9, 2006

I've been busy...

Been a long, long time since I wrote anything... anything except the Economics, Finance or other term papers (well, there isn't much I can write there anyways!). What stimulated me was a chance meeting with an old friend yesterday – in the cyber world – that’s the only place where friends meet these days unless they share the same workplace, but I digress…. So, this friend asks me a question that only someone who has not met me in years can ask. He goes… “So, what’s up on the creative side these days? Writing? Painting? Music?”

Hmmm… Is that me he’s talking to? Oh, yes it is! Ages back I used to write stuff… though it was more for ‘Galaxy’, the school magazine. I still have a couple of paintings ordaining the walls of my bedroom at home - testimony to the dream of a Picasso-in-making gone sour. And I still remember the ecstasy when I could play the complete song “Tujhe dekha to yeh” from DDLJ on my guitar (which now lies somewhere with a broken string… hoping someday it will again find its C-majors and D-minors).

So, where did I lose all that? There’s got to be some explanation – it wasn’t as if I lost interest. Oh yes, there it is. I know what happened. “I got busy! I did not have the time!”. Precisely.

Let’s take a moment and get a perspective on this. “I am busy!” Isn’t that our answer to almost everything in life these days? I got busy as soon as I moved out of the walls of my school… and I’ve been busy ever since. I got busy studying to get into engineering college – which anyways, took me three years instead of two. For four years, I was busy sitting in the parking lot or the canteen of my college, waiting for someone to hand me my degree. Then, for two years I was busy drinking coffee and checking emails all day at work. And now I’m at Business school, where… screw it – you’re either supposed to be busy or dead! Heck, I WAS busy!!!

Just a small question keeps pricking me, though. Was it worth it?

I kept myself busy doing things that came by, gave me a moment of happiness and then moved on. I am no longer designing engine components… I am no longer writing software codes… I don’t think I ever again will. And I was busy doing these for six years. But, I do wish I could still paint a sunset. I wish I could play the guitar for my friends. I wish I didn’t have to scratch my brains out looking for the right words while writing this. I wish I had taken a moment to talk to that friend who I’ve now lost forever. I wish I had held on to the hand that reached out to me, but I was too busy to grasp it. I wish… I wish I had not been busy.

Well, I hope to make amends. And that’s why I am writing. Maybe to get rid of the guilt of having lost my interests, my passions, the people and things those were most important to me. Make no mistake… I’m still busy. I’m busy like hell. But I guess I’ll always be. And so, I write. And I hope I’ll stick to it this time… or else, someday when I meet you, I’ll say…. “I used to paint, I used to play the guitar, and yes… I used to write blogs!”

5 comments:

cK said...

This makes me remember
"No one gives you time, You have to take it yourself"

Keep blogging

Pallavi said...

A great piece of writing. Hope u soon find time for ur passions. This would definitely inspire many others to find what they love!!!

AK said...

In todays world, people live their lives mechanically, doing what the world says is right. Thats what keeps them busy. If you LIVE YOUR LIFE the way you want to, you'll never say "I've been busy".. Think about it...

Whether is coding software, writing articles, or just about playing some simple A minor and C sharp chords on your favourite guitar. If its your passion, dont leave it!!

I can see a hint of fire wanting to burn bright, the fire of passion and wanting to live a life that you dream of. And I hope it grows. Wish you all the best with that...

Anonymous said...

DD....gud to see this side as well....well no doubt the first time I met u...i knew this guy is diff....true...yeah true it is....& u know wht the best part abt this blog is...its nt that u hv started writing again....it is that u believe u cn make amends amdist this tight schedule(oh its holiday time)....wht wud be even better to see my dear frnd is that u write such blogs in b/w those stupid midterms...which really don hold ntyvalue...bt yeah these bloggy words do...oh yeah they do....& then may be someday u'd say yes in that christmas snowy(its gonna snow on tuesday) evenings on 2006...oh yes...i started writing again....soon it turned to painting..& soon my guitar ws back with its C-majors and D-minors...yes that day wud be gr8 day of ur blog....cos this is where is started....& that is where it shud reach.....u made me remind of my blogging days....Don ask me where r they gone....for a moment the cmu_delhi grp had reignited it...i still remember u saying after Vish's lon mail....Sarthak tune sabki aadat bigad di hai....lol....sorry for a such a long comment....:)

Pallavi said...

"U used to write"